Friday, November 13, 2009

why we're set apart part dos

hello again!

thanks for those who have responded to my first post and given me feedback (whether through chatting or telling me in person). i really appreciate it; plus, it encourages me to know that the things i write are somewhat comprehensible! haha

now, to continue with what i talked about from the first post...

like i said earlier, i really hate anything that has to do with my car due to all my past incidents. i was so confident that God wouldn't have anything else happen to my car, because i thought i had enough trying circumstances that are car related. but nope, God knows that my car is a big test of my dependency and trust in Him.

on the night my car got towed, i was getting very anxious and worried [because 1) at the time, i wasn't sure if my car had gotten stolen or not, and 2) all of my study materials for my next day midterm, laptop, phone, and wallet were in my car]. ribby, my sister, & mike were all at the house w/me at the time, and they were all trying to help me figure out where my car went. rib and my sister were trying to get a hold of the impound while mike talked to each neighbor to see if they called to get my car towed away. he even drove me around the neighborhood to see if the tow truck was still around with my car. after a couple hours of searching and making phone calls, there was no sign of my car. what was i going to do? i had no car, and i couldn't study for my exam. how could i ever be prepared for my midterm when it was already late at night?

the only thing i could do was to pray. i had no idea how i was going to be able to find my car, but after praying, i know that God's truth never changes. He purposely let this situation happen for my sake; this circumstance was for me to draw nearer to Him. and i trusted that. how could i deny that God is ALWAYS good? it's so easy to forget, and i know that as i was having my anxious moments, i was not believing that God was still good.

after i had a short time to myself, mike & my sister suggested that I email my professor to see if i could get an extension on my exam. ribby offered to take me to barnes & nobles to find the books i needed to study for my class. we even got some coffee, so that i could stay awake to study if i needed to. her generosity towards me by paying for both my books and drink really encouraged me and was a portion of why i really appreciated her. we decided to give another shot at calling the police to see if my car was towed. and thankfully, it was. haha, it's kind of funny to be saying how happy i am to have gotten my car towed, but it was such a relief to know that it wasn't stolen.

it was already past midnight, but my sister and mike (who both had work very early the next morning) were willing to take me to the impound. my car was only gone for a few hours, but the payment was pretty ridiculous. i was starting to imagine what kind of burden this would be to my parents, but mike and my sister were both reminding me that it was okay...that it's only money. they were right; i hold on too preciously to the "value" of money. also, during the time we had to wait outside for the towing man to get my car, my sister actually allowed me to rest my head on her shoulder. it seems kind of silly, but that was a huge deal for me. i always knew that my sister cared about me, but she's not the affectionate type towards me. so when she was okay with this head-resting-on-shoulder action, i was so thankful that she could comfort me in this way.

that night was super humbling. it was definitely a slap in the face that i just didn't go to God right away when my car had gone missing. and yet He still decided to pour His grace on me by giving me my car back, revealing to me how blessed I am to have my sister, Mike, and Rib in my life, and giving my professor the kindness to give me an extension on my exam. i praised God for this night. this isn't the exact scenario a person would see as a joyful event. but because we're set apart, i could rejoice in the fact that this event was to draw me nearer to God...to find dependency in Him alone...to see the importance of prayer...to trust in His goodness.

if it takes car accidents, tickets, and tows to bring me closer to Him, then God... bring them onto me.

1 comment:

  1. :) how encouraging...your last line reminded me of one of the most beautiful hymns, "Nearer My God to Thee"...miss you!!

    ReplyDelete