Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Choosing to Be Joyful







Joy by PageCXVI

The lyrics of hymns are so profound. So full of good, simple, yet convicting truths. My appreciation for hymns didn't grow until last year. It was when I came across this band called Page CXVI that I started paying more attention to lyrics of hymns. Page CXVI takes the good 'ole hymns and reinvents the composition of the song to give it a modern feel, while still keeping the lyrics in its original form. I love what they've done. Listening to their works has helped me to be more mindful of the hymns that we sing every Sunday. One of my favorite times now during Sunday worship is the time the congregation has to sing a hymn. Our elder takes time to explain the history behind the song and will sometimes read a particular stanza to emphasize the character of God and how thankful we should be that God is like this.

The song, Joy, that I put up definitely has more of a somber melody. I read their blog to see why the song was composed this way. I'll let the artist explain it here:
http://blog.pagecxvi.com/post/683764188/joy

In the midst of the pain she went through and the loss she had, she still chose to be joyful. That is what is so amazing when believers go through trials. Though there is hurt, though there is pain, there is a greater hope. The hope and peace, which comes from the Savior. We can be confident that God intentionally put us in a difficult circumstance because He loves us. It was best for us. It was for our own good. And that is why the artist can still say that she has joy in her heart.

I was reminded of Philippians 3. As I've been meditating on this book for the past few weeks, I've been learning more that even if God were to take away everything that I love on this earth and allow me to suffer, I would be satisfied because all I have and need is Christ.

7But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment